[Maintain] problem facing login page
Petersen, Kirsten J - NET
2008-06-27 00:55:15 UTC
Hi Sarat,

I'm sorry for the very slow reply. Are you still having this problem with Maintain 2.4?

________________
Kirsten Petersen
Network Services * Oregon State University
http://oregonstate.edu/net * irc.oregonstate.edu #osu-is
"Paper doesn't grow on trees."

2008-07-29 23:32:38 UTC
Has anyone found an easy way to import reverse dns zones? People have
mentioned using zone transfers to import data into tinydns. However, I
don't understand how this will in turn import anything into our maintain
mysql db.

Thanks!

Sam Fox
Fox, Sam P
2008-07-30 17:27:08 UTC
Also regarding reverse DNS: Does Maintain automatically update rDNS
pointers when a host is added? From our testing, it appears that
reverse pointers are not created or updated when creating or updating a
host. -SF

2008-07-30 18:03:08 UTC
The bind module will automatically build reverse pointers for all static hosts, and will additionally print out reverse pointers in the db.
The tiny module does not build reverse pointers as far as I know. I'll have a look at the import script and see about fixing the pointesrs issue.
Hello Kevin,
Thanks for the prompt reply!
We're using $GENERATE 1-254 $ PTR
xxx-xxx-xxx-$.bendbroadband.com. to generate rDNS for our dynamic zones.
However, we have a lot of static zones and need to update rDNS for hosts
such as mailservers etc.
We're looking at using tinyDNS with Maintain, but our import using the
Import BIND module didn't import any of our pointers. At OSU, do you
have to add a host and then add the pointer or did you automate it
somehow? When I worked there, we were still editing zone files manually
:)
Thanks!
Sam Fox
Sam, there is a configuration directive (for bind) that enables the
building of rDNS pointers for hosts.
As for the tinyDNS build, reverse pointers are printed from the database
only.
Post by Fox, Sam P
Also regarding reverse DNS: Does Maintain automatically update rDNS
pointers when a host is added? From our testing, it appears that
reverse pointers are not created or updated when creating or updating
host. -SF
Post by Fox, Sam P
don't understand how this will in turn import anything into our
maintain
Post by Fox, Sam P
mysql db.
Thanks!
Sam Fox
Kevin Purdy * Security Student
Network Engineering * Oregon State University